In these last few days, I squeezed the remaining amounts of Zanfel from a tube I bought several years ago. It worked to reduce the itching and rash from a local PI infection on my leg. Zanfel did the job for me twice before on local PI infections so I definitely got my money’s worth. However, when I bought it, I, like others here, winched at the price and nearly put it back on the shelf. Later on, when I read through the Zanfel patent online, I was planning to try mixing toothpaste with nonoxynol-9, maybe add a little Tide and sand. But I’m glad to hear that cheaper generic versions of Zanfel are now available. Seems like the various generic versions lack the nonoxynol-9, but it’s pretty easy to add that in, and see if it really makes such a difference. (PS: Thanks vauron for posting your experiment findings.)
Many years ago there was a product available that worked very well to relieve the effects of poison ivy rash. It was even issued to linemen working for the telephone company. It’s name was AntIvy, and one of the active ingredients was a zirconium compound. It also had an antihistamine in the mix. I see that it was discontinued because apparently in some cases it was reported to have caused some sort of skin irritation. Poison ivy rash IS a skin irritation. Anyway, I obtained some zirconium oxide and made up my own poison ivy lotion and for me, at least, it works. It isn’t an instant remedy but it helps quite a bit. AntIvy lotion worked for many other people too. I do not understand just why your advice specifically warns against it.